Yum Yum

Food is basic needs of our life and let's just say I'm a needy one on this category. I love good food! In this blog, I'd post pic of foods I dine in restaurants and tell what I think about them. I might also cook/bake sometime =)

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Cake n food from the market @Petak Sembilan, Jakarta



At the top of this picture is what we, Indonesians, called "putu mayang". It's served with a liquefied palm sugar. "Putu mayang" is made out of rice flour, but some made it out of rice vermicelli. The rice flour one is so much better in my opinion because it's more springy in texture, while the rice vermicelli often time is kind of dry. People usually put the liquefied palm sugar in a small bowl and dip the "putu mayang" in it, let them soak a bit then eat it. But, I like to just dip it a little just before I eat it. That way I can still feel the rice flour taste that's not overpowered by the palm sugar. How do you like to eat yours?

At bottom right is called "Bolu Kukus" which translate to "Steamed Cake". It's named that because it's how they made this cake. They make the cake batter then put in cups with paper cup on it. Why the paper cup when there's already cups? Because the cups have holes on them. I'll add a pic of the cup too just in case you got curious.

This "bolu kukus" is soft in texture and has chocolate flavor, but I'm getting a hint of mocha/coffee taste from it. When you cook "bolu kukus" it's supposed to bloom like this one. Some even say, when you're steaming it, you have to smile all the time so the cake will smile, too. But, when you think of it realistically, it's probably the way you mix the batter that matter, hehehe but it doesn't hurt to smile, right? =)


At bottom left is called "bacang". It's traditionally from China. It's a rice or glutinous rice with filling of meat (the traditional one is pork, but since it got universal now, lots of them filled with chicken or beef) and depends on the maker, they can add other stuff like salted egg (the yellow part only), dried shrimp, mushroom, or chestnuts and then they are wrapped with bamboo leaves into a pyramid shape.

I like the glutinous rice version better because I like the chewiness it provide. There is a guy that sells this "bacang" with glutinous rice and the feeling is cubed pork (usually it's minced but he always served it cubed and I'm loving it!) and then there's mushroom, chestnut, dried shrimp and salted egg in it, too. He doesn't sell it everyday, he usually call my mom when he want to cook them to offer if my mom wants to buy it. And, it doesn't come cheap either =P but his "bacang" IS the best!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy and leave a comment :)