Yum Yum

Food is basic needs of our life and let's just say I'm a needy one on this category. I love good food! In this blog, I'd post pic of foods I dine in restaurants and tell what I think about them. I might also cook/bake sometime =)

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

"Tahu Pong" & "Udang Gimbal" with "Sambel Petis"


Today, I ate homemade "tahu pong" and "udang gimbal".

"Tahu pong" is a tofu (tahu=tofu) that empty on the inside when it's deep fried. Unlike the usual tofu, when you bite it, the middle of it has nothing, it's like only tofu skin are there. It's best eaten when it's still hot.

"Udang gimbal" is like a pancake with shrimps on it. Of course the pancake should be crispy and shrimps used are supposed to be bigger than the one here.

We eat them with a sauce called "sambel petis". "Petis" itself is a product out of shrimp stock that's been caramelized. Then, we add green chili pepper, garlic, and other seasonings to make it into "sambel petis"

Dip the "tahu pong" or "udang gimbal" with a lot of "sambel petis" and the taste is heavenly =)

1 comment:

  1. I miss gimbal. My father-in-law made the vietnamese version, but the breading was so thick & no taste :( Indonesian's gimbal is the best...probably partial here :p LOL...but...whatever :)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy and leave a comment :)